Sweet potatoes are related to regular potatoes, but distantly; it’s a simple ingredient which impresses me every single time I try it.
They can be used as substitutes for regular potatoes in many dishes, and are naturally sweet, versatile and loaded with nutrients. Adding ShaSha Co. Bio -Bud Lentils to this dish makes it a super food.
When choosing sweet potatoes for this recipe, try to pick those that are closest in size to a regular potato
- Cooking Spray
- 1/2 cup Bio-Buds Lentils, blanched
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- ½ cup sliced onion
- 1 (5 oz) bag of fresh baby spinach
- 4 large eggs, plus 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup 1% low- fat milk
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1.5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (approx. 1/3 cup)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch thick slices
- Preheat oven to 350⁰ F.
- Coat a 9-inch pie plate with the cooking spray.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a slightly overlapping, circular pattern, until it covers the entire bottom and sides of the pan.
- After layering your pan, coat the top of the potatoes with cooking spray
- Place in the oven to bake. Let bake for 20-25 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking you can cook the vegetables and prepare the egg mixture.
- Remove from oven, when finished, and let cool. Increase the temperature of the oven to 375⁰F.
- This recipe uses spinach, but other vegetables like mushrooms, and or sweet peppers can be used too.
- Warm a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add oil, and then onions.
- Sautée onions for 3 minutes. Add the spinach to the onions and leave to cook for 3 additional minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, black and red pepper together in a separate bowl.
- We are now ready to assemble the quiche.
- Spread the cooked spinach on top of the baked sweet potato crust.
- Pour the egg mixture over the spinach and sprinkle the top of the mixture with the crumbled feta cheese and your blanched Bio-Bud Lentils (click here for Bio-Bud Lentils blanching instructions)
- The pan is now ready to go back into the oven for 35 minutes, or until the mixture is golden brown and set.
- After removing, let the quiche sit for at least 5 minutes before cutting.
Slice, serve and enjoy!
ShaSha Co. 2018