- 2 cups finely ground ShaSha Ginger Snaps (about 9 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
Preheat oven to 325°F. Generously butter 10-inch-diameter spring form pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Double-wrap outside of pan with heavy-duty foil. Blend ground snaps, sugar, and ginger in processor. Add melted butter and process until moist crumbs form. Press mixture onto bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of prepared pan. Bake until crust sets, about 10 minutes. Cool. Maintain oven temperature.
Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in sugar, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream and whipping cream, then crystallized ginger, fresh ginger, lemon juice, and lemon peel.
Pour filling into crust. Place spring form pan in large roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into roasting pan to come 1 inch up sides of spring form pan. Bake cheesecake until filling is set and golden brown on top (cake will rise slightly above edge of pan), about 1 hour 25 minutes. Turn off oven and prop open oven door with wooden spoon. Let cake stand in oven 1 hour (cake will fall).
Remove spring form pan from water bath. Remove foil and cool cheesecake completely on rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (Can be prepared ahead and refrigerated 4 days or frozen up to 2 months. Defrost frozen cake overnight in refrigerator.) Release pan sides from cheesecake. Transfer cheesecake to platter.