Serve this hearty vegetarian soup with crusty whole wheat bread for a complete meal. I like the sharp and slightly salty addition of freshly-grated quality Parmesan cheese– omit if serving to vegans. Serve this dish with ShaSha Co. Spelt Lavash.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil leaf
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each dried oregano and thyme leaves
- Pinch each dried rosemary leaves, crumbled, and pepper
- 3 cups (750 mL) vegetable stock
- 2 ounces of lemon juice
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL)diced tomato, including juice
- 450g sprouted Bio-Bud™ Lentils, soaked 30 min and cooked for 15 to 20 min- and drained
- 3 cups (750 mL) fresh baby spinach leaves
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in seasonings, vegetable stock, tomatoes, Bio-Bud lentils and a couple ounces of lemon juice for taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 5 minutes. Stir in spinach leaves until wilted, about 30 seconds. Serve with Parmesan, if desired.
Makes 8 cups (2 L), 4 servings.