- 1 half loaf of organic bread (any kind except Spelt Raisin)
- 4 – 6 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 – 2 tbs crushed garlic
- 2 tsp spices (basil, parsley, rosemary, oregano etc.)
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat Oven to 425 F
- Slice the bread into even shaped cubes. (An easy way to do this is to turn the half-loaf on its side, and make 3 vertical cuts, and then 3 horizontal cuts.)
- Place the bread cubes into a large mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients. Toss the mixture gently, but thoroughly with salad tongs.
- Spread the bread cubes evenly spaced across a non-stick baking pan, or a baking pan lined with tin foil. Bake the croutons for 10 minutes, or until the croutons have darkened slightly.
- Remove from oven, and allow them to cool on the countertop. Seal them in an air-tight container or bag.
*To make a lower fat version, omit the olive oil, and rub the bread cubes with the crushed garlic.