Sprouted Bio-Bud™ Lentils, raisins and nuts are good sources of iron in this easy vegetarian main dish. Accompany with steamed broccoli (a good source of vitamin C) and crisp ShaSha Co. Spelt & Flax Lavash or any variety of bread.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp (10 mL) curry paste or powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Pinch cayenne
- 240g (150 mL) sprouted Bio-Bud™ Lentils (soaked 30 min cooked 15 to 20 min and rinsed/drained)
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
HOT COOKED BIO-BUD RICE INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 lb (250 g) extra-firm tofu, well drained and cut into 1/2-in (1 cm) cubes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) each raisins and slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh coriander or parsley
Heat oil in a large saucepan or deep skillet set over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in curry powder, cumin, salt and cayenne; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add the lentils, in Add to pan with water and tomato paste; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and gently boil, uncovered, until lentils fall apart, about 10 minutes.
Add potato; cover and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Stir in tofu; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in raisins and almonds. Taste for salt and add more if needed. Serve over rice and sprinkle with coriander.
Make-ahead: Can be made at least 8 hrs. ahead.